Hampshire PCC welcomes government u-turn on local election delays

Friday, 20 February 2026 09:00

By Natalia Forero, Local Democracy Reporter X @V2RadioSussex

PCC Donna Jones. Image: LDRs

A Hampshire mayoral candidate has welcomed the Government’s decision to scrap plans to delay dozens of local elections across the country.

Donna Jones, the Conservative mayoral candidate and Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, said the decision was a victory for local democracy.

Mrs Jones said she and local Conservatives had campaigned against postponing the elections and praised Hampshire authorities for resisting what she described as “immense pressure” from Westminster.

She said: “Together with the Hampshire Conservatives, we campaigned for no delays to local elections, and I’m proud that despite immense pressure from the Government to delay, every single local authority across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight refused the Labour Government’s offer of a delay to critical local elections.

“I want to especially thank the thousands of local residents in Hampshire that signed my petition to defend democracy in our county.”

Mrs Jones described the Government’s reversal as “another U-turn”, claiming it showed ministers were reluctant to face voters.

“We learn that the Government have had to U-turn again, allowing local elections to go ahead across the country. This is an open admission that Labour only delayed the elections because they were scared to face the public.”

However, she argued the move did not go far enough, calling for the reinstatement of mayoral elections originally scheduled for May.

“This U-turn is still only half-baked. The Government must now go further and reinstate the mayoral elections, also due to be held in May. If they don’t, they are openly depriving the British people of a local voice, local investment and upgrades to local public services, all to avoid an embarrassment at the ballot box,” she added.

The leader of Hampshire County Council. Cllr Nick Adams-King, also welcomed the Government’s decision, describing it as “the right call”.

He said: “Residents deserved certainty, democratic accountability, and a council that keeps moving forward — not months of drift.

“I’m delighted the Government has now recognised the importance of sticking to the democratic timetable. Hampshire was ready. Our residents were ready. And now the rest of the country will be too.”

Steve Reed, the Local Government Secretary, had previously approved proposals to postpone the ballots until 2027.

Ministers said some councils were concerned about the cost of holding elections for authorities expected to be abolished as part of a major local government reorganisation. However, the decision was withdrawn “in light of recent legal advice”.

A Government statement said the Secretary of State had asked the Housing Ministerto urgently reconsider the matter due to tight timescales.

The Housing Minister then decided the elections should go ahead in May 2026.

Amazing HALF PRICE local offers! Save money and get a great deal at V2vouchers.co.uk

More from Local News

On Air Now Neale Bateman 11:00am - 3:00pm
Now Playing
You Get What You Give New Radicals
Recently Played
  • Give Me The Reason Luther Vandross 10:47
  • Beat Yourself Up Charlie Puth 10:44
  • A Thousand Years Christina Perri 10:36