More than 1,000 households are waiting for homes as Adur District Council refurbishes dozens of empty council properties in Southwick.
The project, which started in June, has an earmarked budget of up to £2million for the refurbishment of 44 empty flats in the town.
The work required varies between properties and could include new kitchens and bathrooms, upgraded heating, new ventilation systems and redecoration.
The council confirmed there were currently 1,046 households on Adur’s housing waiting list. It also said some of the empty flats had been left vacant for a ‘significant period’ but does not hold data showing exactly how long each property has been empty.
The council said in June that three contractors were being used simultaneously, which it said should allow for the project to be completed in as little as six months.
Three of the 44 homes had been completed as of Friday 14, August, with work having started on a further 14.
Properties are assessed when tenants move out to determine how much work is required before new occupants can move in. The council say it prioritised those that need the least amount of work because the turnaround time would be quicker.
However, it said this resulted in a build-up of empty flats requiring more-substantial work, which is what the investment seeks to resolve.
The council had previously planned to redevelop a wider area of council-owned properties between Southwick station and Shoreham Port, but this has been paused due to uncertainty over proposed changes brought by local government reorganisation in Sussex.
Lee Cowen (Lab, Mash Barn), the council’s cabinet member for housing, said: “Every one of our tenants deserves a home that is safe, secure and sustainable. This work will mean scores of our Adur residents in need of somewhere to live can soon move into good quality social housing in their area, while we invest millions of pounds to improve our other Adur Homes properties.”
Get the latest ALERTS for BREAKING NEWS in the SOUTH on your phone by downloading the V2 RADIO APP today!
V2VOUCHERS.CO.UK is offering half-price deals on a wide range of experiences across the South, from meals out at local restaurants to tickets for some of the region’s biggest events.


AUDIO: Three dead after emergency response at Shoreham Harbour - Updated @10:27 19.08.2026
Arundel and South Downs MP criticises further delays to Angel Inn rebuild
Ferring Country Centre plans for overflow car park
Young travellers across the South warned over ‘free holiday’ drug smuggling offers
Secret life of fungi brought to life in new Brighton exhibition
Drug dealer sentenced for wholesale supply in West Sussex
Lewes rail line to remain closed until at least 26th August after derailment
West Sussex opens applications for winter holiday food and activity clubs
Drivers using the main route between Bognor Regis and Littlehampton are warned of possible delays
Nine homes refused in Halnaker

