Southampton have been expelled from the Sky Bet Championship play-offs after admitting multiple breaches of EFL regulations linked to the unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training sessions.
An Independent Disciplinary Commission announced the decision today, ruling that the club should be removed from the 2026 play-off competition.
Southampton have also been handed a four-point deduction, which will be applied to the 2026/27 Championship table, along with a reprimand for all charges.
The ruling means Middlesbrough have been reinstated into the play-offs and will now go forward to face Hull City in the Championship Play-Off Final.
The final remains scheduled to take place on Saturday 23 May, although the kick-off time is still to be confirmed.
Southampton were first charged on Friday 8 May, before further charges were issued on Sunday 17 May. Those additional charges related to further breaches identified during the 2025/26 season.
The EFL says those matters came to light after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough had already begun.
Southampton admitted breaching regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith. They also admitted breaches of rules which prohibit clubs from observing another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
The admitted breaches relate to fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026, and Middlesbrough in May 2026.
Southampton do have the right to appeal the Commission’s decision under EFL regulations.
The parties are working to try to resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May. Depending on the outcome, there could still be a further change to Saturday’s fixture.
The EFL says it is now in discussions with Southampton, Middlesbrough and Hull City about the implications of the decision.
A further announcement is expected in due course, with the Commission’s full written reasons also due to be published.
Southampton FC have been asked to comment on this news, and V2 Radio is awaiting a response.
Get the latest BREAKING NEWS for the SOUTH on your phone by downloading the V2 RADIO APP today!
V2VOUCHERS.CO.UK is offering half-price deals on a wide range of experiences across the South, from meals out at local restaurants to tickets for some of the region’s biggest events.


CCTV images released as part of Gosport shoplifting investigation
East Sussex Fire and Rescue urging people to
Old Police Cells Museum reopens at Brighton Town Hall following major revival
Tesla supercharger approved for Chichester
Virtual ward pilot helping to keep older adults with mental health needs out of hospital in East Sussex
One knife on our streets is one too many say Sussex Police
Prolific shoplifter jailed for 12 months after stealing over £2k of goods across Worthing
Man charged with murder after woman found deceased in Durrington
Reform UK names group leader in East Sussex
Free Skate Fest activities return to Mid Sussex this May half term

