A six-year-old girl has died in hospital after getting into difficulty in the sea off Shoreham, bringing the number of people who lost their lives in the incident to four.
Saja El-Khawas was pulled from the water at Shoreham on Tuesday and had been in a critical condition in hospital. Her death was confirmed on Friday evening.
Three members of the same family died at the scene after being recovered from the water: Saja's father, Hassan El-Khawas, 55, her mother, Zeina Alayn, 37, and her 14-year-old sister, Sara El-Khawas.
The family had travelled from London to visit Shoreham and entered the water from the beach at Shoreham Fort at around 2pm on Tuesday before getting into difficulty.
A major emergency response was launched, involving HM Coastguard, the RNLI, South East Coast Ambulance Service and Sussex Police.
Sussex Police said their current hypothesis is that the incident was a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement. An investigation remains ongoing, with a file due to be prepared for HM Coroner ahead of an inquest.
The news of Saja's death means the tragedy has sadly claimed the lives of the entire family.
Chief Superintendent James Collis said: “This heartbreaking update is one we all feared in the aftermath of Tuesday’s tragic events.
“I cannot imagine the devastation felt by the wider family of Hassan, Zeina, Sara and Saja after this loss. On behalf of everyone at Sussex Police, I extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences.
“The impact of this tragedy has been felt across the country, and I know the Shoreham community, emergency responders and all involved will continue to be affected for a long time to come.
“I would like to thank all of the public who have shared their sympathies and kind words, and once again ask for the victims’ family and loved ones to be left to grieve in privacy.”
Get the latest ALERTS for BREAKING NEWS in the SOUTH on your phone by downloading the V2 RADIO APP today!
V2VOUCHERS.CO.UK is offering half-price deals on a wide range of experiences across the South, from meals out at local restaurants to tickets for some of the region’s biggest events.


Air ambulance remains at Aldingbourne sports centre after road incident
Tribute paid to teenage boy following fatal collision in Portsmouth
Police appeal for witnesses after 14-year-old boy dies following Portsmouth bus crash
Man arrested on suspicion of arson after Littlehampton flat fire
West Sussex man given ten-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order for possessing indecent images of children
WATCH: Haywards Heath to Lewes railway line set to reopen on 1 September - Updated: 09:32 - 21.08.2026
Lewes Police issue warning as motorcycle thefts continue across district
New strategy launched to reverse biodiversity decline across East Sussex
Dragonfly Festival enters final weeks at WWT Arundel
Worthing Town Hall roof repairs cost thousands of pounds

